Accidental Ingestion of Vacor Rodenticide: The Symptoms and Sequelae in a 25-Month-Old Child

Dana E Johnson, Paul Kubic, Carolyn J Levitt

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Scopus citations

Abstract

A recently introduced rodenticide containing N-3-pyridylmethyl N′-p-nitrophenyl urea (PNU), Vacor, was accidently ingested by a 25-month-old child, resulting in acute vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and hypoglycemia, as well as chronic evidence of autonomic and peripheral neuropathy and glucose intolerance. Treatment with niacinamide (nicotinamide), may have been of benefit since all problems were resolved within three months of ingestion. This agent (PNU) is remarkably similar chemically and toxicologically to alloxan and streptozocin, both potent beta-cell toxins. These similarities are not only important in regard to the antidote for PNU, but they also suggest that the toxin may cause long-term endocrinologic, neurologic, and oncologic problems. (Am J Dis Child 134:161-164, 1980.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)161-164
Number of pages4
JournalAmerican Journal of Diseases of Children
Volume134
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1980

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Accidental Ingestion of Vacor Rodenticide: The Symptoms and Sequelae in a 25-Month-Old Child'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this