We previously reported the identification of a soybean plant introduction (PI) genotype, PI 417566, which restricts nodulation by Bradyrhizobium japonicum MN1-1c (USDA 430), strains in serogroup 129, and USDA 110 (P. B. Cregan, H. H. Keyser, and M. J. Sadowsky, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 55:2532- 2536, 1989, and Crop Sci. 29:307-312, 1989). In this study, we further characterized nodulation restriction by PI 417566. Twenty-four serogroup 110 isolates were tested for restricted nodulation on PI 417566. Of the 24 strains examined, 62.5% were restricted in nodulation by the PI genotype. The remainder of the serogroup 110 strains tested (37.5%), however, formed significant numbers of nodules on PI 417566, suggesting that host-controlled restriction of nodulation by members of serogroup 110 is strain dependent. Analysis of allelic variation at seven enzyme-encoding loci by multilocus enzyme electrophoresis indicated that the serogroup 110 isolates can be divided into two major groups. The majority of serogroup 110 isolates which nodulated PI 417566 belonged to the same multilocus enzyme electrophoresis group. B. japonicum USDA 110 and USDA 123 were used as coinoculants in competition-for-nodulation studies using PI 417566. Over 98% of the nodules formed on PI 417566 contained USDA 123, whereas less than 2% contained USDA 110. We also report the isolation of a Tn5 mutant of USDA 110 which has overcome nodulation restriction conditioned by PI 417566. This mutant, D4.2- 5, contained a single Tn5 insertion and nodulated PI 417566 to an extent equal to that seen with the unrestricted strain USDA 123. The host range of D4.2-5 on soybean plants and other legumes was unchanged relative to that of USDA 110, except that the mutant nodulated Glycine max cv. Hill more efficiently. While strain USDA 110 has the ability to block nodulation by D4.2-5 on PI 417566, the nodulation-blocking phenomenon was not seen unless strain USDA 110 was inoculated at a 100-fold greater concentration than the mutant strain.