Patterns of Tobacco Use and Related Protective Factors Among Somali Youth in the United States

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Anti-smoking norms and educational aspirations are established tobacco prevention targets for general United States (U.S.) adolescent populations but protective factors remain poorly characterized for Somali-American youth. Here we describe patterns of past 30-day tobacco use and associated protective factors among eighth, ninth, and eleventh grade Somali adolescent respondents (n = 2009) to the 2016 Minnesota Student Survey using multivariate logistic regressions. E-cigarette (5.7%) and hookah (5.0%) use were most prevalent. Male youth reported higher levels of tobacco use across products. Adjusted odds ratios showed that internal developmental assets (e.g., e-cigarettes aOR 0.37, 95% CI 0.37, 0.79) and parental anti-smoking norms (e.g., e-cigarettes aOR 0.19, 95% CI 0.09, 0.38) protected against use of all tobacco products. E-cigarettes and hookah are prevalent among U.S. Somali youth, highlighting the need for prevention efforts that address emerging tobacco products and leverage protective factors such as internal assets and parental anti-smoking norms.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)103-112
Number of pages10
JournalJournal of Immigrant and Minority Health
Volume23
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 2021

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
Public school students in Minnesota provided Minnesota Student Survey (MSS) data via local public school districts and data are managed by the MSS Interagency Team. This project was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under National Research Service Award (NRSA) in Primary Medical Care. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S.

Funding Information:
This project was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under National Research Service Award (NRSA) in Primary Medical Care, Grant Number T32HP22239 (PI: Borowsky), Bureau of Health Workforce. Acknowledgements

Publisher Copyright:
© 2020, Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature.

Keywords

  • Adolescence
  • Protective factors
  • Refugee and immigrant
  • Tobacco use

PubMed: MeSH publication types

  • Journal Article

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Patterns of Tobacco Use and Related Protective Factors Among Somali Youth in the United States'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this